Earth Hour is a global phenomenon which involves participation from over 7000 cities and more than 150 countries, making it the world’s largest voluntary action for the environment.
For Earth Hour 2014, EWS-WWF is encouraging YOU to be part of a new outreach campaign being launched for this year’s Earth Hour with the call to action ‘Get Enlightened. Make the Switch’. This campaign aims to encourage the usage of energy efficient light bulbs.
On Saturday 29th March 2014 at 8:30pm, the UAE will join millions of people across the globe in switching off non-essential lights in business premises and in homes for one hour – Earth Hour!
Switching to energy efficient light bulbs is a very simple yet impactful way to reduce UAE’s ecological footprint per capita, bringing benefit to the UAE and its residents. Studies show that switching to energy efficient lighting in the UAE will equal removing 165,000 cars of the road annually! Can you imagine the opportunity for energy-saving if we all switched to energy efficient light bulbs?
So, how can you support or get involved? Here are some ideas:
- Make the Switch to energy efficient light bulbs.
- Switch off non-essential lights during Earth Hour, 29th March at 8:30pm, for one hour.
- Share details about Earth Hour on social media platforms and include the following hashtags #earthhouruae #maketheswitch
- Organize a group of friends and family to take part in Earth Hour 2014.
- Spend Earth Hour in Bay Avenue from 8:30-9:30, and watch Burj Khalifa turn off its dazzling lights!
- Buy an Earth Hour Pack that has been created to fund this project. The pack includes the items displayed in the picture below, and can be purchased from the following outlets in Dubai: Geant Super Market, Lime Tree Cafe, More Cafe, VOX Cinema, Virgin Mega Stores, and Change Initiative. Abu Dhabi: Journey Toys, VOX Cinema, Virgin Mega Store. Online: Goumbook, EWS-WWF website (uae.panda.org/earthhour) (Priced at 60AED)
MOST OF ALL: HAVE FUN, COME TOGETHER, & MAKE THIS YEAR’S EARTH HOUR A MEMORABLE ONE!
Social Media Details: Twitter @ews_wwf ; Instagram @ews_wwf ; Facebook LIKE here! ; Local Hashtag #EarthHourUAE